How to Become a DBE
In general, to be eligible for the DBE program, persons must own 51% or more of a qualifying small business, establish that they are disadvantaged within the meaning of DOT regulations, and prove they control their business. The business must provide a product or service that MaineDOT might utilize in transportation, bridge, or highway construction.
New applicants are screened and certified by MaineDOT. To apply for DBE certification for your firm:
1. Download the following documents:
2. Read the instructions and gather all necessary supporting documents (see Checklist).
3. Complete the DBE Application and Personal Financial Statement.
4. Submit completed forms and all required supporting documentation to:
5. Upon review of the application and supporting documentation, MaineDOT will arrange an "on-site evaluation" of the company.
6. If the application is approved, the company will be certified by MaineDOT and classified according to its products and services.
Once certified, all DBEs must submit a "No Change Affidavit," a "Personal Net Worth Statement" and a copy of the business' federal tax return annually to reconfirm their company's eligibility status. (Note: submit these documents in advance of your recertification date to avoid being removed from the DBE list during the recertification process.)